On the opening night of the Alltech Craft Brews & Food Fair yesterday, the 2018 winners of the Dublin Craft Beer and Cider Cups were announced by Head Judge, Gearoid Cahill.
The overall beer winner was M63 Bulldog from the Fűtőház Sörfőzde brewery in Hungary and the overall Cider Winner was Longueville Mór Cider from Longueville House in Cork. The Best in Ireland winner was awarded to the Boyne Brewhouse, Drogheda, for their Imperial Stout.
Craft breweries and cideries from Ireland and overseas were invited to enter their brews into the Dublin Craft Beer and Cider Cup competitions earlier this year. This is the sixth year of the contest, which allows craft brewers and cider makers to showcase their brews and have them rated, tasted and analysed by an expert, international panel of judges.
Speaking about this year’s competition, Gearoid Cahill, Head Judge said, “This annual competition provides a great barometer for tracking trends in the industry. This year there was a swing away from the dominance of IPA style beers with a significant level of entries of lagers and pale ales. The largest category this year was speciality beers with brewers from across many markets trying their hand at creating very special brews with the hope of attaining the coveted Dublin Cups”.
First launched in 2013, The Dublin Craft Beer and Cider Cup competition provides an opportunity to build brand recognition within the industry for smaller craft brewers. Between the two competitions a total of 27 gold, 70 silver and 87 bronze medals were awarded this year.
Dublin Craft Beer Cup
Overall Winner: M63 Bulldog from the Fűtőház Sörfőzde brewery, Hungary
Best in Ireland: Imperial Stout from Boyne Brewhouse, Drogheda
Best in Category
Ale: Pompeii, Guri Sörfőzde
Lager: Blue Stallion Dunkel, Blue Stallion Brewing
Porter & Stout: Yannaroddy, Kinnegar
IPA: Lobo IPA, Wicklow Wolf
Wheat: Weiss, Kildare Brewing Company
Specialty: Ibrik Turkish Coffee Stout, O’Connor Brewing
Gold Medal Winners
- Craftwerk Brewing – Holy Cowl Belgian Style Tripel
- Boyne Brewhouse – Boyne Brewhouse, Irish Craft imperial Stout
- Boyne Brewhouse – Boyne Brewhouse, Irish Craft Saison
- Blacks of Kinsale – Irish Giant Barley Wine
- Blacks of Kinsale – Kinsale Pale Ale
- Brouwerij Klein Duimpje – Slobberbok
- Brouwerij Klein Duimpje – Vanilla Maple Madness
- 12 Acres Brewing – Farmer’s Tan
- Brouwerij Klein Duimpje – Black Jack Choco Ris
- Blue Stallion – Dunkel
- Pisse Des Gottes – Ginger Lynn
- Naparbier – Pumpkin Tzar
- Hope Beer – Passifyoucan
- Priory Brewing – Venial Sin
- Priory Brewing – Original Sin
- Bronckhorster Brewing – Nightporter
- The Five Point Brewery – Five Point Pils
- Kinnegar Brewing – Big Bunny
- Kinnegar Brewing – Great Arch
- Fűtőház sörfőzde – M63-Bulldog
- White Hag Brewing – Irish IPA
- Brehon Brewhouse – Ulster Black Oatmeal Stout
- Wicklow Wolf – Lobo IPA
- O’ Connor Brewing Co. – Ibrik imperial Turkish Coffee Stout
- Crew Republic – Roundhouse Kick
Dublin Craft Cider Cup
- Longueville Mór Cider, Longueville House
- Legacy Medium Dry Cider, Legacy
You can find the full list of winners at www.alltechbrews.ie.
Pictured: Istavan Hava, Futohaz Sorfozde Brewery and Gearoid Cahill, Head Judge, Dublin Craft Beer & Cider Cup.